A message to our community from Mike Collins, CEO
Thanksgiving is a holiday rooted in gratitude, most often celebrated by family and friends sitting down together to break bread, catch up, and be thankful. Granted, in the midst of a pandemic, Thanksgiving will look different for many this year.
While news of a vaccine gives us cause for optimism, the timeline for our lives to return to normal remains uncertain. Yet I have many reasons to be excited about what the future will bring, despite the negatives of 2020.
This year, AVG has been privileged to witness revolutionary ideas, executed by inspiring entrepreneurial teams. They’re forming companies that are positioned to not just change the future of our economy, but also have the potential to impact the quality of our lives.
Here are just a few examples of companies AVG has invested in that are making a difference:
- Taking on COVID: Kinsa, Tembo Health, and many others are doing great work to tackle problems caused by the virus.
- Making deep tech leaps: Capella Space is making vital information about our planet more accessible, while others are pushing the boundaries of quantum computing, 5G networking, and next-generation composites.
- Proving the power of science: Frore Systems and hosts of others are relying on science to break through boundaries and solve tough technological challenges.
- Protecting food supplies: Ag-innovators like EnkoChem and FarmWise are making contributions to crop-protection and sustainability.
- Delivering treatment: Notable Labs and SHINE Medical are improving the effectiveness and efficiency of cancer treatment, while Tempest and Sondermind are each revolutionizing the delivery of care for addiction and mental health.
Today and every day, I give thanks for the ideas, creativity, and relentless energy of innovators and entrepreneurs. Most of all, I celebrate their fundamental desire to improve on the status quo. For this, our futures have limitless potential, and we owe them all a debt of thanks.
AVG and these ventures also owe you a debt of thanks. It’s your support that have made these innovations possible. Thank you.
May you and yours be healthy and well on this day of gratitude.
Mike Collins, CEO of Alumni Ventures Group, has been involved in almost every facet of venturing, from angel investing to venture capital, new business and product launches, and innovation consulting. He launched AVG’s first alumni fund, Green D Ventures, where he oversaw the portfolio as Managing Partner and is now Managing Partner Emeritus. Mike is a serial entrepreneur who has started multiple companies, including Kid Galaxy, Big Idea Group (partially owned by WPP), and RDM. He began his career at VC firm TA Associates firm. He holds an undergraduate degree in Engineering Science from Dartmouth and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
Originally published at https://www.avgfunds.com on November 26, 2020.